The Washington Post reports on an intriguing new invention calculated to protect pilots of airplanes, recently unveiled in France. It is a parachute that “weighs only 12 pounds, and consists in part of a small cannon. At the moment of danger the aviator rises from the seat and the cannon goes off, thus throwing the parachute and the aviator free of the machine.”
ABOUT"Real-time history" blogging of 1913. Retropundit@Gmail.com.
- 53,991 hits
Most-read posts (last 2 days)
- TURMOIL OVER DANCING: "freak dances," bare bosoms, time runs backwards -- and what about the Inaugural Ball?
- PROGRESS: The "Kinetophone" -- talking moving pictures are at last a reality
- CUTE: Crown Prince Alexei Plays Santa
- CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED: Women in the workplace means "disaster for the race"
- MYSTERIOUS PINK-PAJAMA GIRLS ROCK HARVARD: Junior Harvard Man Receives Odd Visitors, and a Suspension