The New-York Post has a lengthy piece celebrating the hard-working whalemen (mostly Portuguese) who are turning considerable profits harvesting sperm whales off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. It will be interesting to see whether as much positive press is given other hard-working capitalists if in the future they develop substitutes for sperm oil that make it unnecessary to kill these great creatures, thus saving them from extinction.
ABOUT"Real-time history" blogging of 1913. Retropundit@Gmail.com.
- 53,248 hits
Most-read posts (last 2 days)
- GEORGE LUCAS TAKES ACID
- DEATH BY CORSET
- PROGRESS: The "Kinetophone" -- talking moving pictures are at last a reality
- CENTENARY: Sir Henry Bessemer
- THE SIMPLE LIFE: "When the farmer raised all his own food and the farmer's wife cooked it all."
- NECESSARY AND PROPER: Congress Won't Permit "Contortions" at Inaugural Ball
- SENSELESS TO ARREST PROSTITUTES, Cleveland police chief explains in speech