Apparently, the rich can’t win. Recently the Vanderbilts and other wealthy members of Newport society were criticized for spending too much (on entertainment). Now, one of the wealthiest women in America, Miss Helen Gould (daughter of railroad mogul Jay Gould), is being criticized for spending too little (on her bridal trousseau). The Los Angeles Times has the details.
ABOUT"Real-time history" blogging of 1913. Retropundit@Gmail.com.
- 53,248 hits
Most-read posts (last 2 days)
- GEORGE LUCAS TAKES ACID
- DEATH BY CORSET
- PROGRESS: The "Kinetophone" -- talking moving pictures are at last a reality
- CENTENARY: Sir Henry Bessemer
- THE SIMPLE LIFE: "When the farmer raised all his own food and the farmer's wife cooked it all."
- NECESSARY AND PROPER: Congress Won't Permit "Contortions" at Inaugural Ball
- SENSELESS TO ARREST PROSTITUTES, Cleveland police chief explains in speech